2013年4月25日木曜日

Tire Cleaning

In today's episode, I would like to introduce how I wash and clean the aluminum die-cast wheels.
うwっtっっdせzsrcvrっv

My Sportster (XL883 2006 model) has a pair of aluminum die-cast wheels.  The rim/edge of the whlees are polished, like other aluminum parts used on the bike, but the spokes are pearskin-finish (rough-matte finish).




I haven't washed my wheels for a long time. They get dirty quickly and usually take a lot of time if I wanted to clean them up fully.  This past weekend, I found sometime to spare so I have decided to shine them up before I go to motorcycle trip end of this month.

You can see how I was lazy for the last 3-4 months from this photo...



The bottom of the front rim, where rain drops and dirt stay, especially gets dirty.


Axle/Hub is where tough to reach by hands and clean.  There are some black spots and stain which don't come off easily.




I always wonder those black stains and spots are rust or break-dust.  Either way, probably takes a lot of work to clean them.

As well as rim of the back wheel, there are some water-spots and stains (most likely aluminum rust).  As this bad, most of shampoos or cleaners won't work.





Even the brake disk was rusted...



Well, let me show how I clean them up!  

(This is my own way to clean.  It works for me but if you want to try, please do it at your own risk!)

Here are the tools I use.  The blue brash is for washing shoes and can be found at any 100-yen store.  This helps me to clean the hub and axle where is very difficult to reach with hands. A brass wired brash is for the stain and rust, but it takes forever to clean entire wheel with this so I only use partially.  What I like the most and my secret weapon is a steel wool (in Japanese, Bon-star).  This particular one has cleanser instilled.




The first step is to wash off dirt with lots of water.



Next, I use the steel wool (with cleanser) and also use a brush.  I also use the steel wool to clean brake discs too.




Usually, this is all I do and clean enough to me, but this time I will shine them up more.


I often use a wheel cleaner as well.  This helps to wash the section my hands nor brash cannot reach.




The steel wool works on the rust on brake discs very well.


It looks OK but still dull if you see closely.



You can shine them up with the steel wool only but takes lots of effort and time.

What I do is to use the steel wool AND an abrasive compound.  I use a "Pikaru".  This Japanese compound for metal/aluminum is inexpensive and can get it from any supermarket.



Use your fingers push against the rim and polish.  Constantly wipe it up and check how it is.  Keep polishing up until it shines up.


And this is the result!











Not bad.  You can have shiny wheels without buying an expensive cleaner!  



Have a nice G.W. holidays!



If you enjoy this blog, please click the below icons for blog popularity ranking.

Thanks!

にほんブログ村 英語ブログへ にほんブログ村 バイクブログ キャンプツーリングへ

Please also visit my other blogs:


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿